Friday, January 30, 2009

When crochet gets better

This oddly shaped object is one of the first dishcloths that I made more than two years ago when I was learning how to crochet. It's made of cotton and I still use it occasionally.

As you can see, my skills have improved with practice and knowledge since then. Here's the most recent dishcloth that I made for my Rockford Crochet January exchange partner in Caron Simply Soft Blue and white acrylic yarn with a nylon thread running through it. Ripple stitch pattern for the main part and a lacy scallop shell pattern for the edging.


These are the other items that I sent to her which she received earlier in the week. She loved the colors that I chose. The thread bookmark has a bow-shaped button that I sewed on. I'd bought a bag of buttons and thought to try out a novelty one for the bookmark. I used double crochet and cross-stitch double crochet stitches.

I've been in my bedroom listening to a short story audiobook, Murder for Revenge, edited by Otto Penzler while working on a large tote bag. All Red Heart yarns; double-stranded. It'll be four colors: Grey Heather, Magenta, Light Raspberry, and Petal Pink when I'm finished. I'm not using a pattern, just making it up as I go along. At this point, if it were stiffer, it'd make a nice basket for something.

No comments: